Main Street School

Before 1907, children in the area attended Pleasant Ridge School, located near the corner of Pleasant Ridge and Mound Street. With the area growing, this school became overcrowded, and the Bullitt Park School was built in 1907. This school is also referred to as the Main Street School because of its location.

The school was built with eight classrooms, but only four were used that first school year. With the founding of the Village of Bexley in 1908, the area continued to grow and soon the school housed kindergarten through 6th grade, using all eight classrooms. In 1917 the school had 130 students. The growing school and village also led to the founding of the Bexley Board of Education in 1917.

By 1919, the school housed 7th, 8th, and 9th grades in addition to K-6 students. In 1922, these junior high school students were moved to the new Bexley High School building, which is now Montrose Elementary. Cassingham Elementary was built in 1927, and after that time Main Street School served those students that lived south of Main Street and west of Drexel Avenue. The school closed in 1944. After World War II, Capital University used the school for extra classroom space at a time when many people, including veterans, were attending college. The building was torn down in 1956.

Photos Courtesy of Columbus Metropolitan Library and Bexley Historical Society

Sources:

“Our Pictorial Past” by Eleanor Eckert, Eastside Messenger page 4, January 5, 1987“Bexley’s Old Main Street School” Bexley Voice Spring 1978

“Our Pictorial Past” by the Bexley Historical Society Eastside Messenger page 4 August 31, 1987